Monday, February 26, 2018

It is Dubai (Not Kuwait)





Last weekend I had the chance to visit Dubai, definitely the most famous city in Persian Gulf area, in United Arabic Emirates. It was not a pleasure trip but I went there to attend a job fair, searching for a better working position. So I didn’t have much time for sightseeing, however a couple of walks were enough to realize that this place has almost nothing to do with what I see daily in Kuwait.


The first thing that comes to attention is the public transportation, very organized, with buses really stopping at the bus stops and a good subway and tram system. Besides, drivers respect traffic rules and they even stop their vehicles at the pedestrian crosses. Regarding pedestrians, they only cross the roads if there are traffic lights, not like in Kuwait as there are not signals for us here, as I wrote in other post. On the other hand, it is very pleasant when you see there are sidewalks. Even you can find some cycle paths. Another world compared with my place of residence.


I also noticed that it is a city much more cosmopolitan than Kuwait City, and many foreigners from different parts of the world decide stay here for a long time. Not surprisingly due to the countless leisure activities and events you can find in Dubai, where socializing is quiet easy and it is impossible to get bored, as some Lithuanian friends I met here told me. However, Kuwait is better if you want to save money, because prices are lower and there are less “temptations” to spend the dinars.

 

































I spent one of the two days in Dubai almost entirely in the job fair, so I only had time for a short morning walk on Saturday. I strolled around the highest building in the World, the iconic Burj Khalifa, with 820 meters high. It is the symbol of the city and you can see from almost anywhere. Inside there is a hotel, luxury apartments and some offices. And just next to it you can find Dubai Mall, the biggest mall in the World, the top of the exaggeration and the ostentation.



































But if there is something I have to highlight alter visiting Dubai, that is what I got in the fair: a new job, also in a school in Kuwait, but with better conditions, which will allow me to continue growing professionally and enjoy my life here in a different way. Besides, I will live in Salmiya area (bye Fintas!), with everything nearby and close to most of people who make this place worth enough to stay longer. It was already time to celebrate something like that (with grape juice though).




No comments:

Post a Comment