Monday, September 3, 2018

Night and day


When someone asks me my opinion about any country, I always thought that it is something more related to the circumstances and conditions of life, rather than the place itself. One year ago, after my first month in Kuwait, when people asked me about my experience of life till that moment, my impressions were mostly negative and I couldn’t imagine living here longer than a academic year. However, once the situation changes, my perception did a 180 degrees turn. There are still a lot of things in this country which I don’t like (hear, traffic, few leisure places, etc.) but, at least, I think that, according I saw since I came back two weeks ago, this time everything will be more bearable.


First, the location of my apartment has nothing to do with last year, in the remote district of Fintas. This time I live in Salmiya area, very close to my working place (just 25 minutes by foot) and the main leisure facilities. I also live in the same neighborhood than my girlfriend and most of my friends here. All of this implies better quality of life (no more buses) and more social life, with more and better possibilities for going out. On the other hand, the accommodation is awesome and big enough for a second person, who I hope she can share this place with me soon.





















In terms of job, the school where I work offers better conditions and more opportunities to grow in my career. Besides this, this time we are two counselors and we will have fewer students in our ratio (last year I was the only counselor for Primary section, with approximately a thousand students…). Furthermore, there are fewer teachers, so the atmosphere is more familiar and there is less tension. The principal is a good professional and he supports our proposals, giving us the chance to develop our career. This time it seems I am in the right place.

My office, still it needs to be decorated

But among all the good things of this new course, I highlight above all the relationship with my couple, which became even stronger after a long period without meeting. She is my main support here and everyday I am more convinced that there can’t be anyone better for sharing the rest of my life with. With her, all my life in Kuwait makes more sense.























Reading all this post, you will be able to understand better why I smiled when this last summer in Cordoba, my hometown in Spain, a neighbor said to me “I hope you can be lucky and find a job here”, and I answered “or not…” One person is not luckier or less lucky living further or closer to his or her hometown, each person makes a life wherever he or she is more loved and valued. My family and friends support me and they will be very happy if I return but, according to the circumstances in my country, with a high rate of unemployment, precarious wages, corruption, low investment in education, etc., right now I am not so willing to come back. Who knows how it will be in the future, but in this moment I would prefer to focus in the present moment, enjoying the new opportunities and getting more and more experience, not only at work, but also as inhabitant in Kuwait. 

Greetings to everyone in this new beginning of the year I hope I can continue updating the blog weekly as I was trying to do last academic year.

                                                                                                                       مَعَ ٱلسَّلَامَة

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paco. Glad to hear things are going well for you. Has it been a year already? Wow! Congratulations for making it through. I sent you my friend, Ahmed Sultan, and I hope he was a help in getting you adjusted. He speaks a little Spanish (wants to learn more) and can help you with anything local. Keep blogging - we all love the differing perspectives that make us all unique. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I am glad you are enjoying the blog. I didn´t meet Ahmed yet, you can send me his contact through Facebook, it would be nice to meet him.

      All the best!!

      Delete