Monday, October 29, 2018

Raiders of the lost bargain


Few days ago I visited for the first time a place which was in my agenda last year and finally I couldn’t have time to go, the Friday Market (or Souk al Jumma in Arabic), a bustling open-air market where one can finds almost everything. Despite its name, I think that, besides Friday, there are open stalls from Thursday to Saturday, from morning to night.


 The amount of products and sections I saw exceeded my expectations. I thought it would be smaller, with only clothes and antiques. but, apart of this, you can find all kind of items for home and furniture at an excellent price. Each part of the market, whose total area is around one square kilometer, is reserved for a type of goods and the variety is huge.

The Friday Market is an ideal spot to practice the ability of bargaining, something totally expected for the vendors and practically mandatory in this scenario. It is especially recommended to go around during the last hour of Saturday, when they are about to close the stalls and it is more likely to negotiate a better price.

My main goal there, beyond exploring that labyrinth of bargains, was finding a white cloth for an activity we did last week at my school. I needed 18 meters and finally I got a roll of 25 for 11 dinars, less than half dinar per meter. A very good deal indeed.

Before...
...and after










































If someone is interested, the Friday Market is located at Shuwaikh area block 1, not far from The Avenues mall, another classic of Shopping in Kuwait, which I should write about someday too.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment